For most people fitness is not selfish! I know there are a lot of moms out there that feel guilty taking 30 minutes to an hour to workout when they feel they should be spending that time with their children, with their partner or helping out around the house with the 2,000 other things they could be doing!
I don’t have kids yet, but I struggle feeling guilty taking the time to pursue my passion for fitness in providing workouts and helping other people workout as I am doing it on top of my full time job as a teacher. But I love it and it’s what makes me happy. When I feel happy I can give my best self and that’s what he wants vs. someone who doesn’t feel great and blah. But I am consistently tweaking and every month I find a way to be a little bit better at juggling them.
Here is why it is not selfish to make working out/fitness a priority:
- You are using it to improve yourself! If you feel like crap, you’re not going to be the best version of yourself! Your loved ones want you to be happy, and if that means taking 30 min- 1 hour to workout or however, much time you need, then take it. That is what is going to make you happy, feel good and be happier around your family and friends!
2. When you don’t feel good, you’re not as effective at handling stressful situations. Things that might not seem like such a big deal, might feel a lot more overwhelming when you are not working out and feeling good about yourself and confident!
3. You gain confidence through working out! When you have confidence you will do more! You will be more productive and of course feel good! When we feel good, nothing can stop us!
4. You gain energy! When you have energy you can run around with your kids, or do more fun activities with your partner! At the end of the day when you get home from work or when your partner gets home from work, you’re not exhausted sitting on the couch. You have the energy to engage in conversation and discuss things that need to be discussed!
5. You’re healthier. You have a stronger immune system, you get sick less and you can take care of yourself and the people around you!
A fit and healthy you, is the best version of you! We all want you to feel good about yourself To feel resilient, happy and energized making a small amount of time in the grand scheme of things is not something you should feel guilty of!
HOW CAN I FIND THE TIME?!
Find a time that you can be consistent! This might take some trial and error and that’s okay. Start by making thinking of a time in the morning. Most people have an easier time being more consistent in the morning because it’s when you have the most energy. You don’t have decision fatigue from the day or all the excuses from the day to talk yourself out of it. Things will always come up, so you won’t feel guilty saying no, or guilty for doing that instead of working out. For example, when you get asked to go for happy hour after work or suddenly realize you have to go food shopping or go grab this at the store. It might mean getting up earlier before work or before the kids. Working out earlier is not for everyone! But it’s worth a try to see if it might work for you! If the afternoon works better, maybe right after work? Do you pass a gym on the way home from work?
Focus on just working out 2-3x a week to start! You can make a lot of progress working out 3x a week!